The Maritime Women’s Basketball Association is seeking a part-time, contractual position for the role of executive director.
The position would be for the 2023 MWBA season.
Closing date for applications is Friday, Feb. 24.
The MWBA is a not-for-profit organization governing a competitive amateur women’s basketball league comprised of franchises from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The MWBA lives by its mission to:
- Provide a competitive brand of play for players
- Foster women’s basketball for all stakeholders (e.g., athletes, coaches, managers, officials, team executives, sponsors and marketers, fans, etc.)
- Promote interest, involvement, and development in women’s basketball
The MWBA and its franchises are committed to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion and recognize Canada’s history of systemic sexism, racism, and bias especially as it impacts women. By providing a competitive women’s basketball league and using our resources to influence and champion change to support all women and allies in the sport of basketball, the MWBA will stand against anti-Black racism and anti-Indigenous racism, be allies within the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and support ending violence against women.
The Executive Director would help lead the organization in its second year of operations and build upon a successful inaugural season delivered by volunteers. During their term, the ED will be accountable to the Executive Board of Directors and will be responsible for the overall management and routine business of the organization including providing support to franchises. The ED may be assigned specific duties as they arise and is responsible for ensuring the organization advances its mission, league operations, and strategic direction with the support from the MWBA Commissioner and Executive Board of Directors.
The MWBA is a young organization ready to learn and develop. The ED will be encouraged to bring innovative ideas and forward thinking to support the organization in disrupting the status quo and build the case for a professional women’s basketball league in the Maritimes and Canada.
This is a part-time position with a six-month contract from March through Aug. 31.
It is expected the ED will work approximately 10 hours per week and this will vary depending on timing during the season. Work will be completed remotely from a personal laptop/cell phone with occasional attendance at league games.
Desired qualifications include:
- Post-secondary diploma in a related field such as Business Administration, Sport Administration, Organizational Development and minimum 1 year related experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered
- Experience with budgets & financial management
- Knowledge of the women’s basketball landscape in Canada, with specific expertise in the Maritime provinces
- Working knowledge of sport organizations, such as Provincial Sport Organizations, Multi-Sport Organizations, and Canadian sport leagues.
- Expertise with equity, diversity, and inclusion topics including gender equity, anti-racism, intersectionality, and inclusion in sport
- Capable of working independently and taking initiative
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Experience managing relationships (internal and external)
- Possess and demonstrate commitment and passion for mission-centered objectives
- Time management and effective organizational skills
Additional skills and experience could include:
- Experience working in the non-profit sector
- Experience using Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and Zoom
- Effective & timely communication
- Demonstrate innovative thinking
- Experience in event planning
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills
- Knowledge of the National Coach Certification Pathway
- Valid Driver’s License
- Contract Length: 6-month (March – Aug. 31, 2023)
- Employment Type: Part-time
- Hours: 10 hours per week (flexible)
- Work Location: Remote & occasional attendance at league games
- Honorarium: $6000.00
The MWBA is committed to principles of anti-oppression and employment equity. We strongly encourage members of Indigenous, Black, 2SLGBTQ+, Francophone, newcomer, differently abled and other equity seeking groups to apply and self-identify if comfortable.
The successful applicant must be able to provide a criminal record check and supply their own laptop device and cell phone.
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Feb. 24, at 5 p.m. AST.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with the MWBA. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.